Predict Roof Hail Damage with
Hail Risk Insights
Hail damage is one of the main drivers for roof replacement. Researchers anticipate fewer hail days but significantly higher damage potential in the traditional hail alley states in the near future1.
Insurance companies need comprehensive hail insights that provide property-level vulnerability and regional hazard exposure to predict and prevent future roof losses and minimize disruption to families, businesses, and communities.
Hail is one of the most common causes of roof damage
Hail insurance losses in 20202
Hail events in Texas yearly on average3
Average homeowner hail claims in 20214
Traditional hail risk solutions are lacking
- Focus primarily on regional peril data
- No property-specific vulnerability
- Do have historical hail events/claims data
- No Granular predictions of future events
- No all-inclusive, easy-to-understand score
- Do not simplify underwriting workflows
Hail Risk Insights is a complete, predictive solution
Hail Vulnerability Score
Our industry-leading computer vision analyzes aerial imagery and detects property-level vulnerabilities. We then match these detections with historical hail claims to identify factors that led to hail losses, such as roof staining and roof material.
Our computer vision detects a large area of stains on this property in Texas. Roof staining is a key vulnerability to hail damage.
Enhanced Hail Score
We partner with HazardHub, a Guidewire Analytics product, to provide regional hail hazard data. This score is designed to predict the probability of a hail event happening at a specific property, based on historical data and geospatial modeling, including the number of damaging events in the last 20 years within 25 miles, and the nearest event – the year, size, and distance from a property, etc.
All-inclusive Hail Risk Indicator
Combining the Betterview Hail Vulnerability Score and the HazardHub Enhanced Hail Score, the Hail Risk Indicator is a single reliable indicator of overall hail risk, before the hailstorm hits.
- See a complete view of hail risk from quoting to underwriting to renewal
- Automate underwriting decisions and workflow with the easy-to-understand Hail Risk Indicator
- Build stronger customer relationships and minimize disruptions to their lives – proactively communicate with the insured about their property’s vulnerability and recommend mitigation steps
Our study shows that our Hail Risk Indicator is highly predictive of future hail claims. Properties we score as extreme high hail risk have 3x more hail claims when compared to the entire sample.
Learn More about Hail Risk Insights
Enhance your underwriting and inspection workflows with property insights and risk management tools from the Betterview platform. Schedule a demo today to see how our predictive analytics, geospatial imagery, and computer vision models can help you confidently write policies in high-risk areas without sacrificing your loss ratio.